Kevin

A rare glimpse at the Sony / Nintendo 'PlayStation' prototype

16 posts in this topic

Incredible pictures have emerged of what appears to be the previously mythical SNES PlayStation console that was made by Sony for Nintendo but was never put into production.

Uploaded onto the Assembler Games forum by user 'Dnldbld', the images show the ultra-rare console, its controller and even a games cartridge.

snes playstation

According to 'Dnldbld', the console was owned by his father who had kept hold of the rare prototype since its creation in 1991.

snes playstation

So why does a SNES PlayStation even exist? Well the legend goes that back in 1991 Nintendo and Sony signed a deal which would see Sony create a CD-ROM add-on for the SNES.

snes playstation

Sony built a limited number of the prototype console however it was thought that none had survived after Nintendo famously turned its back on Sony and opted for Philips instead.

Source - Article: Huffington Post /  Video: YouTube

Very interesting to stuff, i had never seen what it looked like but i had heard about it. And what a piece of junk the Philips CDi was and we see what happeneed to PlayStation, i heard conflicting stories on why Nintendo backed out of the PlayStation deal and went with Philips though.

Edited by Kevin
1 person likes this

Yeah I saw this on Facebook.  Maybe this is the missing ECWES? (ECW Entertainment System)

I believe the general consensus as to why the deal fell through is that Sony demanded that they control all licensing and manufacturing of disc-based games.

It is pretty difficult to even imagine a reality in which this thing actually happened now. Maybe it would have flopped like the SEGA CD and TurboDuo and they would have gone their separate ways anyway. Or maybe Nintendo + Sony would be the dominant force among the first parties, going up against Microsoft and a stable SEGA. All I know is, I probably would have never played ICO or Shadow of the Colossus, modern Final Fantasy fans would have probably had a vastly different VII to call their favorite, and Ocarina of Time would have had a loading screen every few minutes.

Edited by Dress

I believe the general consensus as to why the deal fell through is that Sony demanded that they control all licensing and manufacturing of disc-based games.

It is pretty difficult to even imagine a reality in which this thing actually happened now. Maybe it would have flopped like the SEGA CD and TurboDuo and they would have gone their separate ways anyway. Or maybe Nintendo + Sony would be the dominant force among the first parties, going up against Microsoft and a stable SEGA. All I know is, I probably would have never played ICO or Shadow of the Colossus, modern Final Fantasy fans would have probably had a vastly different VII to call their favorite, and Ocarina of Time would have had a loading screen every few minutes.

Yeah, that was my understanding too and i tend to think that was the case too, but i have heard other versions that painted Nintendo more as the bad guy for pulling a 180 on Sony and backing out at the last minute and going to Philips. But in the end I think it worked out for the best, as the PlayStation might have flopped like the CDi and we might not have had those classic PlayStation IPs and games. No telling how different things might have been. SEGA might have still be in the hardware business. No matter what, this falling through had the potential to be a huge turning point in the gaming industry, that we now know today.

Makes you wonder what could have been if Nintendo and Sony had stayed together and made this. True it could've flopped but if it succeeded? The Gaming landscape will be truly different... Not sure if we would still have a stable SEGA but it would be truly a different landscape. It seems to have worked out tho as Sony may very well have acted that greedy which could've been what made Nintendo go elsewhere.

Which isn't hard to believe given Sony's current financial situation with pretty much everything BUT the Playstation side of things.

It seems to have worked out tho as Sony may very well have acted that greedy which could've been what made Nintendo go elsewhere.

The funny thing about Sony's act of avarice in that deal was it was already Nintendo's modus operandi. Nintendo, at the time, had extremely strict requirements for licensing and they alone controlled their manufacturing process (this was in stark contrast to SEGA, for example). Nintendo not wanting to split those duties made sense; if the discs took off, they would be out of a huge chunk of their income. It just seems like it was doomed to fail from the start, with two stubborn titans playing a game of chicken to see who would back out first :P

The funny thing about Sony's act of avarice in that deal was it was already Nintendo's modus operandi. Nintendo, at the time, had extremely strict requirements for licensing and they alone controlled their manufacturing process (this was in stark contrast to SEGA, for example). Nintendo not wanting to split those duties made sense; if the discs took off, they would be out of a huge chunk of their income. It just seems like it was doomed to fail from the start, with two stubborn titans playing a game of chicken to see who would back out first :P

Aye, if they couldn't work together and share the licensing and profits, then the project was indeed doomed from the start. Tho controling those things are actually just sound business practices just sad it doomed what could've been an awesome business venture... Ah well, I think it worked out for the best. We got have 2 contenders instead of one massive one which helps with competition.

SNES PlayStation Prototype Gets Turned On, Opened Up

630x.jpg

Earlier this year, a prototype SNES PlayStation was discovered in the wild and caused quite a stir among fans and collectors alike. The system - which was supposed to be start of a beautiful friendship between Nintendo and Sony but the former left the latter at the altar - never saw release and what images existed were believed to be little more than case mock-ups.

However, the prototype system was very real, and even came with a cartridge which suggested that the internals were functional. At the time of discovery many skeptics stated their belief that it was nothing more then a very clever hoax, and the fact that it was never shown working seemed to support this claim.

630x.jpg

630x.jpg

630x.jpg

Fast forward to the present, and the time for being a naysayer is finally at an end. Dan Diebold and his Father Terry took the unit to the Retro.HK Expo to show it off, and at the same time booted up the machine and played some games on it (not SNES CD games obviously, as none were ever made).

As has already been revealed, Terry at one time worked for Advanta Corporation - the company at which former Sony Interactive Entertainment boss Olaf Olafsson was CEO. When the firm went bust in 2009, Terry bid on some of the firm's items, paying $75 for some cups and saucers. These items arrived alongside the console itself - presumably left at Advanta by Olafsson - which was placed in storage, with its new owner not realising its potential worth, until son Dan decided to post some photos online this year.

Interestingly, the years of being in storage have not impacted the console's ability to power on - it boots up and shows a "Super Disc" BIOS screen, and can play standard SNES games. Sadly, the cartridge discovered with the system appears to be faulty.

Despite this, Dan reveals that he and his father have been offered as much as $45,000 for the system. Both father and son are adamant that they will not part with the console for any price - despite previous comments - but may consider putting it on display in a museum.

630x.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

You can check out the full selection of images over at HKGolden.

[via retrocollect.com, hkgolden.com]

Source: Nintendo Life

1 person likes this

That's pretty cool that they had it actually working like a working prototype but like many things, it just never came to be... Which I heard was Nintendo's fault for wanting all the license agreements or something? Yea... Not how you treat a partner. Still, because of that, we have Sony Playstation, PS 2, PS 3 and now the PS 4... So Nintendo treating them badly actually worked out better for us as we got a second competitor in the console gaming business.

The Microsoft throws they hat into the console ring just as SEGA is exiting the console market to become a 3rd party developer... and would sadly whittle away to nearly nothing while constantly raping their biggest money maker and beloved mascot, Sonic the Hedgehog with crappy game after crappy game which Sonic Boom was just the latest in their atrocities against Sonic.

As for Sony, about all they have that's doing well is their Play-Station division so, I hope they pay attention and continue to do right with it... Especially with how Microsoft has been gaining ground on them.

Well, it was my understanding Sony was the one who wanted full control over all disc based games, licensing and such, which also meant Nintendo IPs,  it was Nintendo who backed out and went with Philips, and we got the monstrosity known as the CDi, and from Sony we got the PlayStation. It was a deal not meant to be and in the end probably worked out best for both parties, Sony obviously made the successful PlayStation, and its successors and with Nintendo, the CDi aside, went on do do their own thing, and both still exist today, while their biggest competition SEGA and Atari no longer make game consoles. Funny thing is, it was Sony who from what i heard, wouldn't work with Microsoft that played a huge role in the original Xbox coming to be.