Sign in to follow this  
Excalibur

Nintendo is Planning to Release a New Version of Switch Next Year

Excalibur

Today, Wall Street Journal Japan reported that Nintendo is planning to release a new version of its Switch console in the second half of 2019.

Wall Street Journal claims they obtained this information from hardware suppliers and sources directly connected to this new Switch project. According to these sources, this new Switch version would be part of Nintendo’s plan to keep the console’s sales high and prevent it from losing momentum. The new version would use a higher-quality screen and new hardware functionalities, but further details are unknown. The journal also reports this new Switch probably won’t use OLED panels like the ones used in Apple’s iPhone X series.

The Nintendo Switch released worldwide on March 2017 and has topped hardware chart sales around the globe multiple times since then, so it’s understandable Nintendo wants to keep the console’s momentum going. Nintendo is quite used to releasing updated hardware as well, so this news shouldn’t come off as much of a surprise.

- DualShockers

Excalibur

I had heard rumors earlier about a more powerful Nintendo Switch getting released next year, it looks like they may indeed be true, not sure how I feel about this, on one hand, better, more powerful hardware is always welcome but on the other hand the original Switch has been out a little over a year and a half and now a newer, better version is coming out. By the time this would arrive it would be over 2 and a half years old but still, it seems too soon, so I'm split on this, I guess I'll wait and see when and if this happens and what improvements are made, and how Nintendo will handle this, in the meantime this will likely deter people from buying the current Switch, well those who are willing to wait,, but most of those unwilling to wait, already have the original Switch anyway.

Kagetora
3 minutes ago, Excalibur said:

I had heard rumors earlier about a more powerful Nintendo Switch getting released next year, it looks like they may indeed be true, not sure how I feel about this, on one hand, better, more powerful hardware is always welcome but on the other hand the original Switch has been out a little over a year and a half and now a newer, better version is coming out. By the time this would arrive it would be over 2 and a half years old but still, it seems too soon, so I'm split on this, I guess I'll wait and see when and if this happens and what improvements are made, and how Nintendo will handle this, in the meantime this will likely deter people from buying the current Switch, well those who are willing to wait,, but most of those unwilling to wait, already have the original Switch anyway.

I too have heard rumors and speculations of this. Mostly from stuff Rich (ReviewTechUSA) had said in several videos and I agree with what he had said that they're pretty much going to have to do something like that with how the current model is on more on par with the base PS4 and Xbox One to where it can at least get most of the 3rd party support but once the new hardware comes out, it'll fall by the way side again.

So they need something akin to a Switch Pro model to compete. Hopefully one with the Tegra X2 chip that the base model Switch was originally slated to have.