Sign in to follow this  
Excalibur

Sony Backtracks on PS4 Cross-Play Denial

Excalibur

Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO John Kodera released a surprise statement today on the PlayStation Blog announcing that Sony is launching a major policy change on cross-platform gameplay.

Kodera-san admitted that PS4 players have been eagerly awaiting an update, and expressed appreciation for their patience. That being said, the house of PlayStation has “identified a path toward supporting cross-platform features for select third-party content”

The first step of this new path is represented by an open beta for Fortnite that allows for “cross-platform gameplay, progression, and commerce across PlayStation 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac”

According to Kodera-san, this is “an opportunity to conduct thorough testing that ensures cross-platform play is best on PlayStation while being mindful of the user experience from both a technical and social perspective.”

He also gave a brief explanation of the process behind the move and promised further information about other games down the line.

“For 24 years, we have strived to deliver the best gaming experience to our fans by providing a uniquely PlayStation perspective. Today, the communities around some games have evolved to the point where cross-platform experiences add significant value to players. In recognition of this, we have completed a thorough analysis of the business mechanics required to ensure that the PlayStation experience for our users remains intact today, and in the future, as we look to open up the platform.

This represents a major policy change for SIE, and we are now in the planning process across the organization to support this change. We will update the community once we have more details to share, including more specifics regarding the beta timeframe, and what this means for other titles going forward.”

Over the past few months, Sony has been under pressure from both users and developers demanding a change on the cross-play policies. Apparently, this was enough to get the ball rolling.

What remains to be seen is how radical this change will be, but we will probably know more down the line.

- DualShockers

Excalibur

Good news, even though I don't play Fortnight, it's a step in the right direction, and all around a good thing, as far as I can see.

Kagetora
On 9/26/2018 at 12:21 PM, Excalibur said:

Good news, even though I don't play Fortnight, it's a step in the right direction, and all around a good thing, as far as I can see.

It is even if Sony had to pretty much be drug to this decision. Seriously, all it would've taken was their okay for companies like Epic to "Flip a switch" and we would've already been enjoying Cross Play. Don't get me wrong, I've loved the games and system's that Sony have put out there but some of their executive decisions have ranged from dumb to out right anti-consumer.

Not the image you want when on the cusp of launching a new system in say 2 or 3 years? Which is probably when the PS5 will actually launch in or around 2020 or 2021. Which to me would be a fair time frame even with the stop-gap PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Now I'll tell you where Sony made a good call and that's with keeping Spider-Man in house for once and giving him to Insomniac Games.

Haven't played it yet myself but I've heard nothing but great things about the game and I watched a guy play through the story of it on YouTube but that really only tells you if the game's worth getting, not if it's truly great. That said, I've heard it referred to as the best Spider-Man game ever or at least best recent Spider-Man game. I'd say the Sam Raimi movie based Spider-Man games were pretty great but I realize those haven't aged that well. 

Plus the movies weren't all that great past the first or second one... At least Willem Dafoe was awesome as Norman Osborne/Green Goblin. In fact, he's who I would hope they'd pick if they do a Norman Osborne/ Green Goblin in the sequel to Marvel's Spider-Man.

As for Sony, I'm not going to be too hard on them as other companies have done similar things in the past and will do so in the future... It always happens when one company gets way ahead of the rest in any given market.

Excalibur

Obviously they caved to the pressure, and didn't want the bad press, I don't know exactly what is involved to make it happen, but i think it should be a standard thing in pretty much all multi-platform games that have online multiplayer, and if you want to filter out a platform to play with, that could be up to the player.

Spider-man does look good, i too have yet to play it though, but I will.

Sony like any of the rest of the companies are out for what makes them money, if they can be anti-consumer and get away with it they will, same goes for Nintendo and Microsoft and others. Good on people to keep their feet to the fire about this.

Kagetora
5 hours ago, Excalibur said:

Obviously they caved to the pressure, and didn't want the bad press, I don't know exactly what is involved to make it happen, but i think it should be a standard thing in pretty much all multi-platform games that have online multiplayer, and if you want to filter out a platform to play with, that could be up to the player.

Spider-man does look good, i too have yet to play it though, but I will.

Sony like any of the rest of the companies are out for what makes them money, if they can be anti-consumer and get away with it they will, same goes for Nintendo and Microsoft and others. Good on people to keep their feet to the fire about this.

Aye it was good on everyone who kept throwing hot coals on Sony's feet. Wasn't just regular players either, a lot of developers complained about it as well so kudos to them too. It proves that when people come together and continually grip about something and hold companies accountable for things they're doing. As for companies caring about the green, that's what they're supposed to do and it's rare that what the company wants and what the customers want lines up with each other.

Thing is, these companies almost always inevitably forgets the simple fact that the customer is always right.... Until they're wrong. :P