Excalibur

Amazon Prime is Dropping its 20% Pre-Order Discount

Excalibur

Video games can be an expensive hobby, so fans are always on the lookout for a good discount. Unfortunately, a pretty good one is ending soon. For the past two years, Amazon has given Prime users a 20% discount on video game pre-orders, effectively turning $60 products into $48 products. However, it seems this deal was too good to stick around, and Amazon is ending it in a week. That said, there is at least some form of replacement.

Starting on August 28th, you will no longer be able to get your 20% discount, but on some select titles (it's unclear how many) you can receive $10 in store credit for other Amazon products. Once you've made your initial purchase, you'll have to wait up to 35 days for your $10 credit, and then you'll have 60 days to spend it before it expires.

- Gamnesia

Excalibur

Had i known this was coming i probably wouldn't have let my yearly Amazon Prime subscription renew a couple weeks ago. Not only has the cost went up to $120 a year recently, they are now cutting benefits too.

Kagetora
On 8/23/2018 at 1:01 AM, Excalibur said:

Had i known this was coming i probably wouldn't have let my yearly Amazon Prime subscription renew a couple weeks ago. Not only has the cost went up to $120 a year recently, they are now cutting benefits too.

They are on their Twitch Prime subscription as well. The number 1 selling point of not having adds run on their videos, yea, they're talking about removing that. :| Um... Yea, I think I'm going back to Newegg or maybe even Best Buy OR Microcenter perhaps.... As for games, personally, I know can buy them anywhere even tho I'll most likely end up paying full price unless waiting for a sale which I often do unless it's a game I really want like the upcoming Spider-Man game. :P

Other than that, I may start paying the sales/Use Tax thing myself and shopping at Newegg more. I'm already a tad nervous about buying anything large from them with all those drug-related stories from a while back. I'd like to think that nothing like that would ever happen here but you never know... I assume that prime will still have its uses elsewhere like the discounts on other items and the Prime Day discounts.

Excalibur

Remember, our state will start to collect sales tax for online purchases October 1st, so you should be able to shop pretty much anywhere and not have to pay any extra tax when you file your taxes, after that kicks in.

As for Prime, I have it until next August, so I'll still use it some, but i will likely be migrating away, The Prime Day wasn't enough to make it worthwhile, the biggest reasons i have it is for the free 2 day shipping and the game preorder discount, i really am starting to question its worth as Amazon loses a lot of the advantages it once had plus the costs of Prime keeps going up to boot, plus i do still have gamers club unlocked from Best Buy for a while longer too even with it being phased out. But with the taxes thing i too will likely buy more stuff from other places like Newegg.

Kagetora
On 8/26/2018 at 8:55 PM, Excalibur said:

Remember, our state will start to collect sales tax for online purchases October 1st, so you should be able to shop pretty much anywhere and not have to pay any extra tax when you file your taxes, after that kicks in.

As for Prime, I have it until next August, so I'll still use it some, but i will likely be migrating away, The Prime Day wasn't enough to make it worthwhile, the biggest reasons i have it is for the free 2 day shipping and the game preorder discount, i really am starting to question its worth as Amazon loses a lot of the advantages it once had plus the costs of Prime keeps going up to boot, plus i do still have gamers club unlocked from Best Buy for a while longer too even with it being phased out. But with the taxes thing i too will likely buy more stuff from other places like Newegg.

Ah so it takes effect in October, eh? Nice. If so then yea, I'll definitely be migrating back to sites like Newegg perhaps even Best Buy or Microcenter... Sites like that. I do wonder what they'll charge Sales Tax wise.. Whether it'll be 10%, 8% or 4%.

Excalibur

Best Buy already charges sales tax since they have physical locations in the state, I've never purchased anything from Microcenter so i have no idea about it.

Kagetora
22 hours ago, Excalibur said:

Best Buy already charges sales tax since they have physical locations in the state, I've never purchased anything from Microcenter so i have no idea about it.

Neither have I but I hear they've got a lot of good in-store deals like deals on Motherboard/CPU combos and other sales that unfortunately are in-store only and the closest one to us in in Deluth, GA which I believe is a suburb of Atlanta. So I'd probably stick to Newegg since they have a lot of online deals and sales.

Kagetora

https://www.racked.com/2018/6/21/17488548/south-dakota-wayfair-supreme-court-decision - Yup, states can indeed charge sales taxes. SCOTUS agreed with them so I suspect we will see a lot of sites changing their online sales policies. Which usually, I'm against Government intervention and them taking more of our money but I realize that they have to get money to pay for roads, bridges, rails and other important stuff from somewhere plus it makes things a bit more even handed in terms of both Brick and Mortar and E-Commerce being roughly on the same page.

Even if other states offer programs like Alabama's where Online Sellers can join and charge something like 8% which is still cheaper than most cities around here that charge 10% on all their stuff. So having all online shopping sites charge at least some form of an Online Sales Tax will help those of us who have skipped it out of simply not knowing how to file for it. So the simpler such things can be made on us regular folks, the better off we'll all be.

Excalibur

My feelings on government and taxation aside, its easier for me and i presume others, to just be charged at the point of sale, rather than having to figure it up and file it at tax time. So in that sense, it is a good thing.

Kagetora
On 9/11/2018 at 11:10 PM, Excalibur said:

My feelings on government and taxation aside, its easier for me and i presume others, to just be charged at the point of sale, rather than having to figure it up and file it at tax time. So in that sense, it is a good thing.

Yea, that's my feeling on it as well. I wish that politicians would be smarter with our tax dollars and not run up such a high debt but why should they be money smart when they can just raise taxes and get even more from us and then waste that money too. From what I've heard, a lot of the needless spending comes from all these social programs like welfare and other burdensome programs.

I bet we could lessen or even eliminate taxes like sales tax and other taxes of we could eliminate some of these costly policies and even some costly Bureaus like IRS and a possibly a few others. Let the state level IRS offices handle the collection of what taxes were left on the books and cut out all the tax laws that don't really help anyone but since we have to have these Tax laws, then making it so online shops have to charge for them like the brick and mortar stores do at least makes things a bit more fair for the brick and mortar stores that aren't say a Walmart or other big corporate business.

Like smaller chains and the mom and pop stores that are still around. Not to mention the folks who get so confused that they pretty much don't even bother paying it.