Jump to content
Excalibur

Valve makes Windows games playable on Linux with Steam Play update

Recommended Posts

Excalibur

In fact, between the time i last posted and this post, i put linux on a USb drive with Rufus and switched to a live usb version of linux, which is what im using to make this post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Excalibur

So far so good, it hasn't been as streamlined as I'd like to see it one day, as I've had to install a few extra packages to get things working (still having issues with some gamepads), but several of the games I've tried actually work, some seem to work perfectly or very close, others have graphical and/ or performance issues that need to be ironed out, then there are some that wont load at all, for instance resident evil 5 crashes when it tries to install / load games for windows live, and uno crashes because it needs uplay i think, games with extra programs or drm seem to be the ones that refuse to work at all, right now. But overall things are working better than expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kagetora
On 9/3/2018 at 1:42 AM, Excalibur said:

So far so good, it hasn't been as streamlined as I'd like to see it one day, as I've had to install a few extra packages to get things working (still having issues with some gamepads), but several of the games I've tried actually work, some seem to work perfectly or very close, others have graphical and/ or performance issues that need to be ironed out, then there are some that wont load at all, for instance resident evil 5 crashes when it tries to install / load games for windows live, and uno crashes because it needs uplay i think, games with extra programs or drm seem to be the ones that refuse to work at all, right now. But overall things are working better than expected.

Yea, that makes sense that something that requires an extra piece of software that doesn't support Linux wouldn't work. Still, having a lot of games that do work on Linux is still doing pretty good. Sadly I doubt Ubisoft will ever get rid of Uplay so unless they decide to support Linux as well, then that's almost all of their games that will probably stay on Windows. I'm sure they will eventually tho , especially if Steam's support of the platform bares enough fruit.

Which I believe it will seeing as how big Valve is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Excalibur

After having pretty much exclusively using Ubuntu for the past week or so, I can say i had it working pretty well, i had some issues getting things working and getting controllers working properly, it required some tinkering and installing of packages but i had the controllers working, including the Xbox One S and PS4 controllers wired and wirelessly. But I'm back on Windows now, and I'll keep check on how this progresses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kagetora
22 minutes ago, Excalibur said:

After having pretty much exclusively using Ubuntu for the past week or so, I can say i had it working pretty well, i had some issues getting things working and getting controllers working properly, it required some tinkering and installing of packages but i had the controllers working, including the Xbox One S and PS4 controllers wired and wirelessly. But I'm back on Windows now, and I'll keep check on how this progresses.

Yeah, I'm also curious as to where this might just be going from here. I'm hoping that others will join Valve in supporting Ubuntu/Linux.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Excalibur

I'm hopeful, things have already came an unbelievably long way in the past few years when it comes to gaming on Linux, I'm impressed with the progress, but there is still a ways to go, as I said, I hope one day we can have near software / game parity between Windows and Linux, and things need to be made more simple, plug and play, Linux still takes tinkering and going into the terminal to get things to working, it needs to be more user friendly in that regard before it can compete with Windows at least for the average user. But some of that could be remied with different versions of Linux built for gaming, with all the necessary packages already installed, But, There are challenges there, i mean, Linux not only needs to be able to run it's own software well, it needs to run most of what Windows' software well too. At least until it starts getting close to the same level of support as Windows does, with Linux versions of games and software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kagetora
2 hours ago, Excalibur said:

I'm hopeful, things have already came an unbelievably long way in the past few years when it comes to gaming on Linux, I'm impressed with the progress, but there is still a ways to go, as I said, I hope one day we can have near software / game parity between Windows and Linux, and things need to be made more simple, plug and play, Linux still takes tinkering and going into the terminal to get things to working, it needs to be more user friendly in that regard before it can compete with Windows at least for the average user. But some of that could be remied with different versions of Linux built for gaming, with all the necessary packages already installed, But, There are challenges there, i mean, Linux not only needs to be able to run it's own software well, it needs to run most of what Windows' software well too. At least until it starts getting close to the same level of support as Windows does, with Linux versions of games and software.

Agreed. Linux, at least at the moment, is more of an intermediate to advanced level platform with user friendliness being something that Windows currently has over it. With enough major companies like Valve supporting it however, Linux might just be able to reach that next step of being a viable competitor to Windows. Tho like you said, it would need to become a lot more user friendly to truly take off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×