Excalibur

Valve makes Windows games playable on Linux with Steam Play update

Excalibur

Heads up developers, if your players have been asking for a Linux-compatable version of your game, Valve's announced that delivering that version should be much easier going forward. 

In a post on the Steam community forums, Valve representative Pierre-Loup Griffais announced that Valve is releasing a new version of Steam play that includes a new feature for Linux users. Using an improved version of the compatibility software Wine known as Proton, Griffais states that Linux users can now play games on Steam that are meant to run on Windows. 

Additionally, Steam on Linux will support controllers supported by Steam on Windows. 

While the update doesn't cover all Windows games on Steam yet, a list of games including Doom, Star Wars: Battlefront 2, Payday: The Heist, and more being supported in this beta, with more to come. Valve has also shared Proton's open-source code on Github for developers interested in poking around with it themselves. 

- Gamasutra

Excalibur

Potentially huge news,  imagine being able to play almost any Windows game on Linux,  on top of that Steam also has other software besides just games, while it might be a ways off before this is a reality, this is now a possibility, a possibility for Linux to get on more equal footing to Windows, As someone who used to run Linux in a dual-boot, I'd love to be able to switch back to Linux and not have to dual-boot to be able to play my PC games. So this is definitely something to keep an eye on, Microsoft really needs some real competition with it's operating system and having most Windows software and games running on Linux would be huge, let's hope that happens.

Kagetora
On 8/21/2018 at 11:11 PM, Excalibur said:

Potentially huge news,  imagine being able to play almost any Windows game on Linux,  on top of that Steam also has other software besides just games, while it might be a ways off before this is a reality, this is now a possibility, a possibility for Linux to get on more equal footing to Windows, As someone who used to run Linux in a dual-boot, I'd love to be able to switch back to Linux and not have to dual-boot to be able to play my PC games. So this is definitely something to keep an eye on, Microsoft really needs some real competition with it's operating system and having most Windows software and games running on Linux would be huge, let's hope that happens.

Indeed, Microsoft has the OS market pretty locked down and to an extent the PC market as a whole since everyone has to go through them to be on PC as their OS powers almost all PCs.Especially after SteamOS fell apart... :| Microsoft sorely needs s viable competition to make it worth having a Beta Testing division again and also to bring down the costs. $100+ for a piece of software no matter how important is no excuse to charge so much.

I know that other important Tax programs can cost close to the same price but that's usually only used by businesses anyway... Not by the average user.

Excalibur

I'd argue that many use Windows because they have to, not because they want to, and gaming is a huge reason, Linux runs at a huge disadvantage to Windows because most games and software is made for Windows and doesn't support Linux, if that gap can be bridged to a point where its not a huge trade off to use Linux, i think many will start to jump over to Linux and then by extension Linux could get more native software / game support in the future. Microsoft with their anti-consumer nonsense, badly needs to be challenged with viable competition to Windows, i just hope this is the beginning of that. I hate not being able to trust the operating system i use and knowing its spying on me and doing a bunch of other stuff without my permission in the background, I used to dual boot Linux and am contemplating doing so again, if for no other reason, to test out what games work and what doesn't, so far i'm hearing decent results with this early beta release of the software which is baked into the beta version of the steam client on Linux.

Kagetora
5 hours ago, Excalibur said:

I'd argue that many use Windows because they have to, not because they want to, and gaming is a huge reason, Linux runs at a huge disadvantage to Windows because most games and software is made for Windows and doesn't support Linux, if that gap can be bridged to a point where its not a huge trade off to use Linux, i think many will start to jump over to Linux and then by extension Linux could get more native software / game support in the future. Microsoft with their anti-consumer nonsense, badly needs to be challenged with viable competition to Windows, i just hope this is the beginning of that. I hate not being able to trust the operating system i use and knowing its spying on me and doing a bunch of other stuff without my permission in the background, I used to dual boot Linux and am contemplating doing so again, if for no other reason, to test out what games work and what doesn't, so far i'm hearing decent results with this early beta release of the software which is baked into the beta version of the steam client on Linux.

Agreed, having only one company in the OS department or rather only one viable one always leads to anti consumer behavior. Whether it's Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Intel, AMD, NVIDIA... Whoever... If any one company in a given field gets too far ahead and remains unchallenged for long enough, we get anti consumer stuff like forced updates, forced Windows 10 upgrades, higher prices than what the program needs to cost. No way the "Full" USB version costs $20 bucks extra. 1. the software is practically being given away with the license being what you have to buy and 2. USB Thumb Drives don't cost that much.

Unless it's some special proprietary Microsoft branded drive... Still, $120 or more depending on where you buy it is ridiculous! Hopefully this will take off and make an actual difference.

Excalibur

All that and most every Linux distro is free, Linux in general is more secure than Windows, and doesn't spy on you, and can do most everything Windows can do, it's by far biggest weakness is software / gaming support, if you ever get enough people using Linux, the support will come, and  over the years has already came a long way from what it was. Having a company as big as Valve behind making Linux games support better is just what is needed, it might eventually make those Steam machines as a more viable option than they were before, either way it's exciting news to everyone who loves PC gaming but hates Microsoft holds pretty much a monopoly over PC gaming with its operating system. Question for you though, have you ever used Linux before, if so which distro(s)?

Kagetora
11 hours ago, Excalibur said:

All that and most every Linux distro is free, Linux in general is more secure than Windows, and doesn't spy on you, and can do most everything Windows can do, it's by far biggest weakness is software / gaming support, if you ever get enough people using Linux, the support will come, and  over the years has already came a long way from what it was. Having a company as big as Valve behind making Linux games support better is just what is needed, it might eventually make those Steam machines as a more viable option than they were before, either way it's exciting news to everyone who loves PC gaming but hates Microsoft holds pretty much a monopoly over PC gaming with its operating system. Question for you though, have you ever used Linux before, if so which distro(s)?

Perhaps supporting Linux is Valve's Plan B since SteamOS fizzled out along with Steam Machines... Hopefully they're just the first of many companies to at least look at Linux as a secondary OS to use instead of using JUST Windows or Mac. Plus, if/when we get to the point that using Linuz is a viable option, I happen to know just the YouTuber to go to for it: Wendell over at Level1Techs: https://www.youtube.com/user/teksyndicate/videos For some reason, the link still says tchsyndicate even tho they've mostly disbanded due to some weird drama/stupidity. 

I had forgotten they also had this channel too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOWcZ6Wicl-1N34H0zZe38w

Thing is, Wendell often runs Linux tests along with his normal tests on things he's sent to review like Motherboards and other stuff like that so I figure he's probably the best person to watch if you wanted to learn more about the subject.

Excalibur
5 hours ago, Kagetora said:

Perhaps supporting Linux is Valve's Plan B since SteamOS fizzled out along with Steam Machines... Hopefully they're just the first of many companies to at least look at Linux as a secondary OS to use instead of using JUST Windows or Mac. Plus, if/when we get to the point that using Linuz is a viable option, I happen to know just the YouTuber to go to for it: Wendell over at Level1Techs: https://www.youtube.com/user/teksyndicate/videos For some reason, the link still says tchsyndicate even tho they've mostly disbanded due to some weird drama/stupidity. 

I had forgotten they also had this channel too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOWcZ6Wicl-1N34H0zZe38w

Thing is, Wendell often runs Linux tests along with his normal tests on things he's sent to review like Motherboards and other stuff like that so I figure he's probably the best person to watch if you wanted to learn more about the subject.

Could be, Or maybe they plan to try and bring them back someday and want to vastly improve compatibility with Windows games which is / was a major issue. But we'll see about that. I do think If this starts to make an impact, expect to see Microsoft try and strike back in some way to try and keep people on Windows 10, they can't afford Linux becoming viable for desktops especially in regards to gamers.

I'll check out that channel, especially the Linux channel, I do remember watching some of teksyndicate's stuff a while back.

Question for you though, have you ever used Linux before, if so which distro(s)?

Kagetora
16 hours ago, Excalibur said:

Could be, Or maybe they plan to try and bring them back someday and want to vastly improve compatibility with Windows games which is / was a major issue. But we'll see about that. I do think If this starts to make an impact, expect to see Microsoft try and strike back in some way to try and keep people on Windows 10, they can't afford Linux becoming viable for desktops especially in regards to gamers.

I'll check out that channel, especially the Linux channel, I do remember watching some of teksyndicate's stuff a while back.

Question for you though, have you ever used Linux before, if so which distro(s)?

I don't think I have as an Operating System. I think I've only ever seen it used as a server side thing.

Excalibur

It's different of course in a Desktop environment, you should test some out, you can do it without disrupting you Windows install by running the live versions off of a USB thumbdrive and making sure your PC boots from USB. If you like it then you can partition and dual boot, it's been a while since i have and Windows 10 makes things a little more difficult as Windows wants to keep you from booting into Linux and will keep overwriting the bootloader and such so i hear, once you dual boot but other than that, it's pretty easy to do.