Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

Atari Teases New Game Console Called Ataribox

Kevin    633
Kevin

A new Atari video game console is on the way, according to the company's CEO Fred Chesnais.

Atari has released a mysterious video teasing a brand new piece of hardware called the Ataribox. Though the video doesn't reveal much, it does suggest the console will sport some sort of wood-grain design.

In an interview with GamesBeat, Chesnais addressed the speculation and rumors, confirming Atari is indeed "back in the hardware business."

While Chesnais did not provide further details about the hardware, he did confirm the Ataribox will be based on PC technology. Chesnais also said the system's design is still not finalized and that more information about the console will be shared at a later date.

Atari's last home console was the Atari Jaguar, which released in North America in 1993.

- IGN

Kevin    633
Kevin

Interesting, I wonder if it's a whole new console to compete with the Big 3 or more of a retro type game console, like the NES Classic. It does say it's based on PC technology, and the quote by the CEO about being back in the hardware business, does make it seem like it's a brand new console, we shall see though.

Kevin    633
Kevin

First Atari now Sega? Sega has put out a mysterious video about their future plans. While no console was announced or shown, no new games are announced either, it is a pretty peculiar video.

It's probably very unlikely Sega would get back into the hardware business anytime soon but with Atari apparently releasing new hardware, it does make you wonder.

See the video below.

Spoiler

Kagetora    450
Kagetora

Wait... WHAT?!?! I could've sworn neither company had the money to get back into the console business, much less anything else first party oriented. From the rumblings I've heard, Atari's system will use modern pc hardware I think? As for Sega, last I heard, they had a company remaking the Sega Genesis that looked like the actual Sega Genesis system but had the built in games plus Sega Cartridge slot like the other Genesis clone consoles have but I've yet to hear of a whole new system from them.

Kagetora    450
Kagetora

I will say that I have heard rumors of SEGA bringing a few more games over to PC like Yakuza and possibly a few of their Persona games as well. Doubt we'd get Persona 5 but who knows... Right now, those are little more than rumors.

Kevin    633
Kevin

Yeah, who knows what Sega is planning, it's not likely that it's a new console, but Atari apparently is, which is rather surprising, if it's meant as a big 3 competitor it will be tough road for them for sure.

As someone who is playing more and more on PC, I hope more and more games come over to PC, specifically on platforms like Steam, I actually wish more games would support Linux too, to go along with Windows but that is another, separate issue.

Kagetora    450
Kagetora
8 hours ago, Kevin said:

Yeah, who knows what Sega is planning, it's not likely that it's a new console, but Atari apparently is, which is rather surprising, if it's meant as a big 3 competitor it will be tough road for them for sure.

As someone who is playing more and more on PC, I hope more and more games come over to PC, specifically on platforms like Steam, I actually wish more games would support Linux too, to go along with Windows but that is another, separate issue.

I'd also like to see more companies giving support to Linux but that might not be as easy as supporting Steam and Windows due to the more openness of Linux. As for Sega's games cominf to PC, I suspect they'll be on Steam if they come over as that's the platform Bayonetta showed up on.

Kevin    633
Kevin

Atari Provides First-Look of its New Console the “Ataribox”

Today, Atari revealed the design of its new console, which it is calling the Ataribox.

In a newsletter, Atari revealed the first-look of its first console in over 20 years; however, it has remained a bit tight-lipped about the nature of the Ataribox and what purpose it will serve in today’s competitive, big-money console market.

According to the newsletter, Atari’s objective is to create a new product that stays true to its heritage while appealing to both old and new fans of Atari.

As for the design of the console — which is the emphasis of today’s newsletter — Atari has gone with a look inspired by classic Atari design elements, such as the iconic wood-look, ribbed, and raised back. The console features ribs that flow around the whole console, a front panel that can be either wood or glass, a front facing logo, an indicator lights that glow through the material, an HDMI port, a SD port, and four USB ports.

Atari Provides First-Look of its New Console the

Atari Provides First-Look of its New Console the

According to Atari, the range of ports suggest modern internal specs, as well as that it will delivering not only classic gaming content, but also current gaming content. Whether or not this suggests that the console will be getting new titles from third-parties or whether it’s looking to compete with the Switch, Xbox One, and PS4, remains unclear at the moment.

The console will be available in two editions: a classic wood edition, and a black and red edition that looks more modern.

Details such as specs, games, pricing, and a release date have not been divulged. Atari has said it isn’t deliberately being teasing, but rather wants to make sure it gets things right. Further, it will be closely listening to Atari community feedback as the process to release continues.

- Dualshockers

• Like 1

Kevin    633
Kevin

Interesting, not sure if I have a need for another console, or even what type of console this will be, but I do like the look of the console, specifically the classic wood version.

• Like 1

Blue Rose    234
Blue Rose

Firstly, I absolutely love the look with the faux-wood panel. ~ <3 

The Atari was the first console my family owned, so it definitely takes me back. : )

Secondly, the official newsletter sent out Monday that this article is referring to ended with, "We know you are hungry for more details; on specs, games, features, pricing, timing etc. We’re not teasing you intentionally; we want to get this right, so we’ve opted to share things step by step as we bring Ataribox to life, and to listen closely to Atari community feedback as we do so. There are a lot of milestones, challenges and decision points in front of us in the months ahead. We’ll be giving you lots more information and status updates as we progress, and we are thrilled to have you along for the ride! "

The impression I've gotten is that it's not necessarily planning to compete with cutting-edge titles or the big three, but something that more targets old and new fans of retro and modern-but-retro-styled games.  I wouldn't be surprised if 'big' indie titles like Shovel Knight, Shantae, etc, ended up on it, and they've already invited developers of all sizes to join a separate developer newsletter on which they plan to give more developer-relevant information once they've worked out their content/developer strategy.

Oddly enough, despite how I usually respond to new console releases, unless this ends up bizarrely exorbitantly-priced, I could definitely see us picking this one up, especially for when we have littl'ns to enjoy it with. : )

• Like 1